Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Trigger point injections


So I first want to go over some of the things that the pain management has been doing to keep me comfortable while I work on getting better.
The doctor has been giving me shots in my muscles so far I have had 6 total shots, 4 at one visit and 2 at another. They have a mixture of stuff inside them I think I heard him saying about 3 different medicines when he fills the vial. I know there is an anti inflammatory as well as I think a steroid. I am not quite sure. I basically tell him to do whatever is necessary. I do trust him thus far. These are typically referred to as trigger point injections. When he is administering them he uses an ultrasound like device to make sure he is putting it in the right spot. Those keep me feeling really well for about a week. I don't even think about pain meds.
Also, at physical therapy and sometimes when I see my dr. I get electric stimulation. A home device is something similar called a tens unit. I don't have that but I hear a lot of people talk about it. I basically get hooked up to a machine and four patches get put on my back it looks kind of like when someone goes for an ECG they have patches with wires coming out of them. These patches that are put on my back feel like little tiny ants tickling me. There is dial that increases the intensity of it and the higher it goes it can feel like an electric massage. My physical therapist puts a big heat pack on top of the stimulation. It feels really nice.
So far those are the new things I have been doing besides the pills and regular physical therapy. The pt has been increasing to different levels. I am still working on core strength and keeping my pelvic floor strong. My dr. Wants me to wear "smart" shoes. Because I am always in flip flops he thinks I am not getting enough support. I love flip flops so that will be hard. They have them for a dollar at old navy once a year.... I have soooo many of them.

Then there's the back brace I also wear. There is a picture of me somewhere here on my blog that shows it. It is one with a pully system. I will admit it here that I barely wear it unless I am really in need of support.
I have not had some of the other things like epidurals or anything like that. I am hoping that my pm dr. has me on a good enough plan to keep me away from surgery and other types of injections. Of course I do expect the worst but am hoping for the best.
I know a lot of people with this issue are going through some of the same things. I just hope that this helps escpecially for those people new to the DDD family.

So until next time,
Here's to hoping!

4 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that trigger point injections could help you along in the healing process so much. Thanks for sharing and informing. I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes! They did help me but I hear others say it doesn't help. I hope you find relief as well!

      Delete
  2. I've had DDD for my life and I've tried to find somewhere that does trigger point injections in Draper, UT. Does anyone know where I can find out about that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will would look into going to a pain management doctor in your area. I did a quick google search and found a doctor who lists them as part of their regimine. Thaddeus Jacobs, ND, LAc
      www.summitintegrative.com
      12340 S 450 E, Draper
      (801) 748-3888
      more info

      Delete