Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pain Management- Shock me, Shock me!!



I do have to say I left the doctor's office feeling hopeful. He seemed very positive that I would not need to have surgery and that he could help me. We will see.
He did do some manual manipulations but not the kind I expected these were light and gentle, not aggressive like normal chiropractors. Typically they twist and pull you in all kinds of directions and you hear tons of loud pops and cracks. None of that happened. I was very pleased because I did not want to be tugged on and I made it clear I was concerned that I thought it might hurt. He only did a few for my ribs and a little lateral stretch for my sides. He was very receptive to my concerns. A nice change of pace, right?
THEN - HE SHOCKED ME!!! Literally he put these things on my legs and hooked me to a machine and shocked me. It was like a lighter version of a barbed-wire shock. It reminded me of this time me and some cousins were walking down a dirt road and my cousin saw a horse she wanted to pet. Naturally, she climbed through the barbed-wire fence. She made it through quite easily but on the way back her permed hair got caught in the wire. She was getting a shock through her hair!! None of us wanted to help her get untangled because we didn't want to shocked... Oh funny memories. The jolts the dr. gave me made my feet and legs jump. It was quite funny but also a slightly painful sensation. Then he stuck needles in my legs. I could feel them but they didn't really hurt and he used those to check for muscle information. All that came back good. He said nothing looked wrong there. So yay my nerves are still good.
He has perscribed me a few other pills that he wants me to take. One is to help the sensation of pain go away. I am to take it for 3 days at night then for 3 days every 12 hours and then 3 times a day. A gradual introduction I suppose. Another is for osteoarthritis just once a day. And then my usual Norco pain meds. Pills, pills, pills, pills.
Then I am to start physical therapy this friday. The room looks pretty good there is a pilates apparatus, balls, different weights, tables and all kinds equipment. Should be a good time. He also gave me a crazy looking back brace. I have had a few of these before hopefully this doesn't get tossed in the pile of "tried and doesn't work". Oh shoot speaking of that I left it in my moms car. LOL ah well.
But this is me making my back brace look sexy before I left it in my moms car.

He was going to give me a muscle injection to see if that helped but because I am having a good day I decided maybe next time. Well that is pretty much it for now. We will see how all this works. Here's to hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment